Saturday 9 February 2013

Japanese invasion of Malaya (08 Dec 1941)

Singapore is peaceful even though there were hardship. I was fortunate to be born with a silver spoon where I could get education. Every days and seconds living in Singapore for most people living in the kampong areas are hardship, but there are happiness and smile within them which are not for long.

I am Rachel, a chinese living in Singapore. I was a lucky girl who is born in Singapore at the times of it's peace and start of prosperity of the country. My father's businesses become good due to the strategic location of Singapore in the trades. However, good things don't last, our wealth are soon to be used up on foods, water and necessaries.



On this faithful date, 08 December 1941, I could vividly remember the scene of chaos and fears when we heard the bomb explosion in Malaya. I saw many Japanese war planes that were flown around Singapore.  Everyone in my area was afraid of war that would come with more bloodshed while others were positive about the British's effort in defending Singapore. The news about the places in Singapore being bombed spread fast, we were forced to stay indoor after hearing the siren.




This sudden attack strike hard, where we are not prepared on our storage of food, water and necessaries.I was living in fear with my family. Though we were rich, the money could last as long as we thought. We remained positive about this, as we knew that the British has their navel base in Singapore with 15 inch guns, mounted on ships facing the sea preventing any attack, and also having military air field and underground bunkers to protect the country.

I have to stop writing as I need to help my mother in preparing food. 

Rachel 

09 December 1941

Textbook reference
unknown.(2011). Singapore: From Settlement to Nation Pre-1819 to 1971.Singapore. EPB Pan Pacific

No comments:

Post a Comment