Sunday 10 February 2013

How the British surrendered (15 Feb 1942)

I learned that how the British surrendered after a few days of the surrender. The news had extract about what took place during the negotiation process. Hearing that the Japanese who negotiate is called Tomoyuki Yamashita and the British, Percival. This is what the conversation between them about during the nagotiation:
Japanese ( Y) : I want to hear whether you want to surrender or not. If you want to surrender I insist on it being unconditional. What is your answer? Yes or no?
British ( P) : Will you give me until tomorrow morning?
Y: Tomorrow? I cannot wait and the Japanese forces will have to attack tonight.
P: How about waiting until 11.30 p.m. Tokyo time?
Y: If that is to be the case, the Japanese forces will have to resume attacks until then. Will you say yes or no?
P: (made no reply)
Y: I want to hear a decisive answer and I insist on an unconditional surrender. What do you say?
P: Yes.
Y: All right then. The order to ceasefire must be issued exactly at 10 p.m. i will immediately send one thousand troops into the city area to maintain peace and order. You agree to that?
P: Yes.
Y: If you violate these terms, the Japanese will lose no time in launching a general and final offensive against Singapore City.


What anger me the most was how Yamashita reflected on the fall of Singapore.
"My attack on Singapore was a bluff- a bluff that worked. I had 30,000 men and was outnumbered more than three to one. I knew that if I had to fight long for Singapore, I would be beaten. That was why the surrender had to be at once. I was very frightened all the time that the British would discover our numerical weakness and lack of supplies and force me into disastrous street fighting."
I felt very angry about it, but this is a battle between British and Japanese. Now, living in Singapore should be a huge suffering.  I have to leave now as I have some things on.

Rachel

17 February 1942


Textbook reference
unknown.(2011). Singapore: From Settlement to Nation Pre-1819 to 1971.Singapore. EPB Pan Pacific


No comments:

Post a Comment